Who is KPTJ?
WHO IS KPTJ? KPTJ (Kenyans for Peace With Truth and Justice) is a coalition of over 30 Kenyan and East African legal, human rights, and governance organizations, together with ordinary Kenyans and friends of Kenya, convened in the immediate aftermath of 2007's presidential election debacle.
KPTJ maintains that there can be no peace without truth and justice - truth and justice for the failed presidential election and the violence that followed. Justice requires that we face the truth of our history, and of the 2007 election, to address the deep chasms and inequities in Kenyan society.
During the post-election crisis, KPTJ generated vital professional analysis, backed by verified data, of the electoral fraud and ensuing country-wide violence. KPTJ's reasoned position statements were used by the UN, EU, US State Department, Senate, and Congress, and AU, to bring PNU to the negotiating table. KPTJ also mobilised progressives within Kenya, the Kenyan Diaspora, and the Pan-African movement, to actively campaign for a just resolution to the crisis.
KPTJ is currently active in the monitoring, implementation and enforcement of the mediation agreement.
MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS OF KPTJ
- Africa Centre for Open Governance (AfriCOG)
- Bunge la Mwananchi
- Centre for the Development of Marginalised Communities (CEDMAC)
- Centre for Law and Research International (CLARION)
- Centre for Multiparty Democracy (CMD)
- Centre for Rights, Education and Awareness for Women (CREAW)
- Coalition on Violence Against Women(COVAW)
- The Cradle-The Children’s Foundation
- Constitution and Reform Education Consortium (CRECO)
- East African Law Society (EALS)
- Federation of Women Lawyers(FIDA-Kenya)
- Foster National Cohesion (FONACON)
- Gay And Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK)
- Haki Focus
- Hema la Katiba
- Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU)
- Innovative Lawyering
- Institute for Education in Democracy (IED)
- International Commission of Jurists (ICJ-Kenya)
- International Centre for Policy and Conflict (ICPC)
- Kenya Human Rights Commission(KHRC)
- Kenya Leadership Institute (KLI)
- Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR)
- Kituo cha Sheria
- Katiba Institute
- Muslim Human Rights Forum
- Mazingira Institute
- The National Civil Society Congress
- National Convention Executive Council (NCEC)
- Release Political Prisoners Trust (RPP)
- Sankara Centre
- Society for International Development (SID)
- The 4 Cs
- Urgent Action Fund (UAF)-Africa
- Kenyan Asian Forum