- Investigative Journalism
- Partner Articles
- The Election Petition
Vacancy - Programme Officer - KPTJ
The Africa Centre for Open Governance (AfriCOG) is an independent, non-profit making organisation with a mandate to provide cutting edge research on governance and public ethics issues and, monitor governance fundamentals in both the government and the private sector. AfriCOG's governance and anti-corruption reform initiative are aimed at addressing the structural causes of Kenya's governance crisis by a knowledgeable citizenry.
AfriCOG facilitates the Kenyans for Peace with Truth and Justice (KPTJ) initiative, which is a coalition of over 30 Kenyan and East African legal, human rights, and governance organizations, ordinary Kenyans and friends of Kenya, convened in the immediate aftermath of 2007's presidential election debacle. The primary aim of the KPTJ Coalition is the achievement of truth, justice and accountability for the failed elections and the violence that followed, and the institution of credible transitional justice and political and constitutional reform as a means to a just, sustainable peace.
AfriCOG seeks to recruit a motivated, energetic professional to lead the development and coordination of KPTJ Programmes.
SCOPE OF THE POSITION
Effectively and independently manage the implementation of research, advocacy and mobilisation activities and work plans whilst ensuring compliance with the budgetary provisions. Provide efficient overall coordination for the KPTJ and direction for the secretariat. Manage partner relations and promote growth, impact and influence of the network.
Job Title: Programme Officer
Department: Kenyans for Peace with Truth and Justice (KPTJ)
Contract Period: Renewable yearly based on performance and availability of funds and subject to 3 months probation period
- Direct reporting to the Executive Director
- Working relationship with task force of leading organisations of the initiative
- Working relationship with AfriCOG programme staff, finance and administration, associates and service providers
Specific responsibilities of this position include;
- To develop and nurture strategic partnerships and coordinate the initiative effectively to achieve results and bring about change;
- To develop a programme approach, work plans and budgets to achieve KPTJ objectives;
- To lead planning, monitoring, and information dissemination of KPTJ’s work;
- To mobilise resources in consultation with Head of Programmes and the Executive Director;
- To liaise with and manage consultants engaged on all KPTJ programmes, prepare research ToRs and follow up on timely and effective implementation of all research and advocacy activities
- To collect data from partner organizations for monitoring purposes, maintain such data in a database, document lessons learned, and use them to strengthen programme effectiveness.
- To produce timely and accurate programme reports, statements, submissions, presentations, communications materials;
- To handle other administrative tasks as needed including supervision, planning and organising events and workshops and procurement of goods and services for KPTJ programmes
- To network effectively and represent AfriCOG/ KPTJ in relevant meetings, conferences seminars etc as may be necessary
- A Master’s degree in social sciences, law or similar from a recognized university
- Strong administrative, communication and social skills
- Solid writing and meticulous editing skills
- Strong budget management, monitoring and reporting skills
- Strong planning, organisational and project management skills
- At least 4 years experience in a similar position in an NGO context
- Exposure to and genuine interest in the civil society sector
- Experience in partnership-building, high-level advocacy and networking
This post is open to Kenyan citizens. AfriCOG is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put PROGRAMME OFFICER - KPTJ in the subject title
- Cover Letter indicating your current and expected pay
- Curriculum vitae with three referees
- List of your last three employers with contact details
Deadline for applications: 29 February 2012